Bachelor of Counselling and Psychotherapy
Study Mode: On-Campus, Distance Learning
Campus Locations: Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth (Distance Learning), Sydney
Attendance Mode: Full-time, Part-time
CRICOS Code: 094685K
AQF Level 7
Counselling and Psychotherapy is professionally regarded as the most sophisticated approach to clinical practice with clients. It is a multidisciplinary approach, which means it is a psychotherapy that considers equally the biological, cultural, sociological, psychological, philosophical, spiritual, and psychodynamic factors when working with people. While the course therefore draws from all these diverse fields, it is in teaching the integration of these disciplines that makes the Ikon syllabus on par with the most advanced and up-to-date research and practice in psychotherapy available today.
Trimester 3 2022 Application Close Date: Tuesday 23 August 2022
The Bachelor of Counselling & Psychotherapy is designed to provide graduates with a broad and coherent body of knowledge relating to the field of psychotherapy, with a specific emphasis to embed a conceptual framework and model of psychotherapeutic practice for the ‘whole person’.
This degree provides you with the practical skills and theoretical foundation you need to integrate Psychotherapy into your existing vocation or to establish a new career as a private practitioner. This unique course is inclusive of traditional healing methods and incorporates, in a live fashion, cutting edge science. You will learn to assist your clients in moving forward in a healing and holistic sense.
Through your personal experiential learning and personal development, you will learn the skills to personally engage with each and every client. You will learn various approaches and techniques and most importantly learn to adapt and utilise your knowledge and approach to the needs of your client with a unique and specialised Mind, Body and Spirit approach.
At Ikon, we place a huge emphasis on Psychotherapy (understanding one’s self) as well as giving you the skills to be both an excellent theoretical practitioner and a wonderful human. We recognise that with just the theoretical knowledge alone, you are likely to have a limited capacity to make a great counsellor.
This course meets the required guidelines as specified by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), and the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA).
This qualification is FEE-HELP approved for eligible applicants.
What will I learn?
- A holistic approach, involving sophisticated notions of integration relating to people and problems.
- A focus on people in their dynamic and multidimensional lives.
- A strong emphasis on creating competence in understanding and applying new and viable practices and theories in mental health, including current controversies and emerging technologies (e.g. consciousness research, transpersonal perspectives and psychobiology).
- Excellence in the ability to effectively manage encounters with clients and other professionals through establishment of competence in fundamental communication and counselling skills.
- A sharply honed attention to critical and philosophical analysis of the foundations of psychotherapeutic and disciplinary knowledge, theories and assumptions. Learning how to think clearly, to reason and also appreciating clinical intuition and insight.
- An emphasis on personal and professional development through engagement with supervision, self-reflective and insight generating processes. This facilitates a sophisticated comprehension of the relationship between the professional as a person, the practice of psychotherapy, and the engagement of clients.
The Bachelor of Counselling and Psychotherapy prepares graduates for an exciting career as counsellors or psychotherapists with the skills to attend to the needs of clients in a variety of professional settings, ranging from mental health organisations and agencies through to private practice.
This course is approved by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA). Graduates will be eligible for Level 2 membership with the possibility of increasing membership levels after acquiring the appropriate amount of professional development and experience. Please visit the ACA website for specific details.