International Students

Study with Ikon

Ikon is a private Institute of Higher Education and has been helping people help others for over thirty years.

Our higher education courses in arts therapy, counselling and psychotherapy, and early childhood education will help you develop the knowledge and skills to move forward with a rewarding career as a therapist or educator. Ikon students are diverse but are connected by a common desire to make a positive difference in the lives of others.

Ikon will provide you with a unique education experience. Our goal is to develop professionals with the knowledge and skills to contribute to an international community committed to social change, healing and learning.

With campuses in Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney you get to choose where you will study, explore and gain a new global perspective.

Ikon is registered to deliver the following courses to overseas students in Australia:

Diploma of Arts Therapy
(CRICOS Code: 097944E)
Bachelor of Arts Therapy
(CRICOS Code: 094684M)
Diploma of Counselling and Psychotherapy
(CRICOS Code: 097946C)
Bachelor of Counselling and Psychotherapy
(CRICOS Code: 094685K)
Diploma of Early Childhood Education
(CRICOS Code: 102714F)
Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
(CRICOS Code: 102713G)

2022 International Student Price List

How to Apply

Once you make an initial enquiry into studying with the Ikon Institute of Australia, our course advisors and support team will take you through the detailed steps from the initial submission of your application to starting the first day of your learning journey!

Here is a snap shot of the application process. Apply using these forms:

Once we process your application, if you meet the education / eligibility requirements, you will be sent a Letter of Offer. At this stage, we invite you to Accept your Offer.You will be sent a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). You will need to apply for a student visa. You organise your travel and other arrangements in Australia.  This is likely to include travel and temporary accomodation. Have a look at the orientation activities. Start Learning!

Admission Eligibility

International applicants may be accepted into a course of study at Ikon where they achieve the following:

1. Are at least 18 years of age at the time of application
2. Satisfy the academic admission criteria most relevant to their relevant circumstances
3. Satisfy any course-specific admissions criteria for their chosen course
4. Satisfy the published English Language Proficiency for their chosen course
5. Participate in an interview

Under the Australian Government’s Simplified Student Visa Framework, international applicants must also satisfy Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) visa requirements.  As part of the International Student Application Form, applicants will be required to complete a series of GTE screening questions. 

Course Admission Criteria:
Diploma of Arts Therapy
Bachelor of Arts Therapy
Diploma of Counselling and Psychotherapy
Bachelor of Counselling and Psychotherapy
Diploma of Early Childhood Education
Bachelor of Early Childhood Education

English Language Proficiency Requirements

You are required to demonstrate that you meet the minimum English language proficiency requirements for your course.  The requirements are specific to each course to ensure that you have the level of proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking English to progress and complete your studies successfully.

You can meet the English language requirements in a number of ways:

  • English speaking background and completed at least five years of primary and secondary school
  • Previous studies where the primary language of instruction and assessment was in English
  • Satisfactory performance in an accepted English Language Proficiency Test
  • Satisfactory completion of an accepted English Preparation Course

Further details can be found here.

Studying in Australia

Bringing Family to Australia

If you are intending to bring school aged children with you to Australia, they must go to school full time if aged between 5-18.  You will be required to pay school fees for your children.

There will also be visa requirements for your family members. Visit the Department of Home Affairs website here or the Study Australia website here for more information.

Working in Australia

If you are an international student in Australia on a valid student visa you may work for up to 20 hours per week (Monday to Sunday) during the teaching trimester. There is no limit on the number of hours you may work during recognised study breaks or holiday periods.  You are not allowed to begin working until after your course has begun.

The 20-hour-per-week limit does not extend to any work you are required to undertake as a component of your studies or training. Volunteer and unpaid work, however, does count towards the 20 hours. If you work more than the Australian restrictions allow, your visa may be cancelled.

Family members (spouses and children) accompanying you under your student visa have the same work rights as you – 20 hours per week. Unlike you, family members may not exceed 20 hours per week, even during holiday periods.  Family members are also not allowed to work until after you have started your course.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is compulsory health insurance for all international students for the duration of their studies in Australia. The OSHC helps international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care. It also includes ambulance costs and some pharmaceuticals. There are many different health insurance providers that offer OSHC. We recommended you have a look at and compare the costs and benefits of each provider.

You can find detailed information about OSHC, its requirements, and providers at Private Health Australia.

Cost of Living

The Australian Government requires students to have the funds to meet living costs. This amount is currently $21,041 (Australian dollars) per year. Your living costs may vary depending on your lifestyle and personal preferences.  More information on the cost of living in Australia can be found here.

Money Matters

Australian currency uses the decimal system of dollar and cents. The Australian dollar ($) is a national currency and accepted across all states and territories. If you plan to transfer funds to Australia then make sure to take notice of exchange rates and any associated fees.


  • ATMs
    Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are located everywhere, including at the airport. You can immediately withdraw cash from your overseas bank account at ATMs displaying the Cirrus Logo if your ATM card has international access. Check this with your financial institution before leaving home.
  • Credit cards
    All major international credit cards are accepted in Australia but often repayments to these cards can only be made in the country where they were issued. Do not rely on being able to get a credit card once you arrive in Australia because this is very difficult due to credit and identification laws.
  • Electronic transfer
    You can transfer money into Australia by electronic transfer at any time. This is a fast option and will take approximately 48 hours, but the bank will charge a fee on every transaction. You are able to pre-open a bank account before you arrive.

Orientation & Student Services

When to Arrive
Please arrive at least two weeks prior to your start date as specified on the Confirmation of Enrolment. Students who plan to find permanent accommodation after they arrive in Australia should book their temporary accommodation when they book their plane tickets.
Admission and Enrolment

After you return your ‘Acceptance of Offer’ to Ikon, staff will enrol you into your chosen qualification and advise you via email.

Student Services

Most international students look back on the time they spend studying and living in Australia as a challenging yet rewarding adventure. Remember, getting used to anything new or different takes a while.  Our friendly staff and students will be waiting to answer your questions and to help you with more information about studying at Ikon and living in Australia once you arrive.

International Student Orientation

In addition to our main O-week activities, additional sessions are held for our international students, covering:

  • Support services to help you adjust to studying in Australia
  • Australian culture and customs
  • English language and study assistance programs
  • legal services
  • how to access emergency and health services
  • health and safety tips for living in Australia
  • how you can access academic and non-academic support services at Ikon
  • costs of living in Australia
  • how to access accommodation support services
  • Ikon’s internal and external complaints and appeals processes
  • information about course progress and attendance
  • Information about visa conditions
  • services you can access for information on your employment rights and conditions, and how to resolve workplace issues, such as through the Fair Work Ombudsman
  • how to seek assistance for, and report, an incident that significantly impacts your wellbeing
  • supporting services if you are undertaking online study
  • key staff contact details

It is compulsory for all new international students to attend O-week. But more importantly, it will ensure that you will transition successfully into your studies at Ikon!

Campus Facilities

All our students have access to a range of on-campus facilities.  More information on the campus facilities can be found here.

Transport Discounts

The Ikon Institute is committed to providing a supportive and positive environment for all members of its community and beyond. This extends to providing student support throughout the entirety of a students’ journey with us.  You can view more details about the services we provide here.


We recommend that you decide on where you would like to live, based on the campus you choose to study at. Please click on the links below for further information.

Temporary Accommodation

If you have not arranged long-term accommodation in Australia, it is essential to book temporary accommodation before your arrival. Please make your own temporary accommodation arrangements and bookings, as IKON does not run a temporary accommodation booking service. You can search for temporary accommodation through:

How much will it cost?
The cost of temporary accommodation varies considerably. If you are happy to stay in a backpacker hostel, you might pay between $26 and $35 per night for a bed in a shared dormitory. It might cost between $90 and $200 per night to stay in an apartment. This charge may be for one or two persons, and the surcharge for a third person might be small. Most apartments have minimum stays of at least three nights and some offer discounts for stays of seven or more nights. Students starting their studies in Semester 1 will be arriving during the ‘high season’, so please be aware that many accommodation providers will be charging premium rates for their rooms.
When should I book?
When should I book?
We recommend that you book your temporary accommodation at least two weeks before you travel to Australia.
For how long should I book accomodation?
We recommend that you initially book your temporary accommodation for at least a week.
Long-term accommodation?
We recommend that you do not sign any agreement before you come to Australia and have seen the property for yourself.

International Policies

The Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, or ESOS Act, establishes legislative requirements and standards for the quality assurance of education and training institutions offering courses to international students who are in Australia on a student visa.  ESOS also provides tuition fee protection for international students.  You can view the ESOS framework here.

The following polices have been designed in the best interest of our international students and the organisation alike, to ensure the highest standard of services provision and learning outcomes possible.

Other Resources


Department of Home Affairs (DHA)

The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs (DHA) issues visas for entry into Australia. DHA provides comprehensive information about student visa requirements and the application process, as well as application document checklists to assist you with your application click here.

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)

In your home country, all matters relating to your student visa are managed by the immigration section of the Australian Diplomatic Mission (the Australian High commission, consulate or Embassy), visit:

Ready to get started?

Take the first step toward your rewarding career today!

I'm interested in... *

Please tick the box if you are an international student or you are planning to study on an International Student Visa *